Monday, January 2, 2017

A Day in the Life of a PA Student: Didactic Year




Hey all!

So I wanted to share with you a typical PA school day. I am in my didactic year, which means strictly classroom time. That includes mostly lectures, but some lab time as well each week. Here is a typical day for me:

7:00 am: wake up, get ready for class, pack my lunch and snacks for the day

7:30 am: travel to get coffee, then immediately to class (or just class if I am running late)

8:00 am: class #1 until 10:00 am

10:00 am: break in the day (I usually study during my breaks, or go get coffee, or study going to and from a coffee place with some PA school friends by quizzing each other)

12:00 pm: eat lunch while studying

1:00 pm: class #2 until 3:00 pm

3:00 pm: class #3 until 4:00 pm

4:00 pm: another break (to eat, get coffee, study)

5:00 pm: class #4 until 8:00 pm

8:00 pm: study at the library, study at home, get more coffee, etc.

12:00 am: (but sometimes almost always later) shower, prepare lunch/outfit for the next day, sleep

...and repeat.


Some of my very colorful (then: in progress) anatomy drawings from my first semester. I used this method to study for all of my anatomy practicals!


My schedule changes every day, but I usually have 3-4 classes per day. All classes are mandatory in my program, and if you miss you have to write a 10 page paper on the material. Ain't nobody got time for that! So I really strive to be early to classes, and at the very least like to be there 5 minutes early to get settled in.

Sometimes, we go straight through with classes, but typically don't get out until 3 or later (but usually later, between 5-8). Most of the classes are in a lecture hall, but 1-2 times a week we get to venture into the lab (where we practice clinical skills on each other - so much fun! but it can also be painful sometimes haha).

my hand: a few days after a friend of my successfully placed her first IV





There is a whole lot of studying involved every day, but I usually take some time off on Friday or Saturday nights to spend time with family or friends, or to spend some time alone. PA school can be draining, and sometimes you just need to sit in silence (or with some background music) and veg out!



No comments:

Post a Comment